St. Charles is located in the Central Fox Valley River region of Kane County. St. Charles was the location of the Native American community for the chief of the Pottawatomie that inhabited the area. A city park overlooking the river was dedicated to this Native American past. After the Black Hawk War in 1832, the entire area of the Fox Valley was opened to American settlement. Evan Shelby and William Franklin staked the first claim in what is now St. Charles in 1833. They came back in 1834 with their families from Indiana, and were joined by over a dozen other families later that year. The township was initially known as Charleston, but this name was already taken by the downstate city of Charleston, Illinois so the name of St. Charles (suggested by S. S. Jones, a lawyer) was adopted in 1839. St. Charles became incorporated as a city February 9, 1839 and reincorporated October 17, 1874 (under the 1870 Illinois Constitution) Source
Much has evolved since 1833 and today St. Charles is truly a great community, the Pride of the Fox! It is a community where men can live, can work, can be educated, can worship and can play. It’s Community & Economic Development mission is to preserve the heritage, community character and natural resources, while building a better community; enhancing quality of life; and responding to community need.